Tuesday, October 17, 2006

If Nothing We Do Matters...All That Matters Is What We Do.

It's funny how someone you hardly know can change your prespective on things, just when you thought they had gotten to the worst point that they could. Humans are strange creatures, we strive so much to be so much more than was ever expected of us, at times we just turn out to be bad people, and its really not always our fault, it can start before we are born. Other times we slowly become bad over time, we hear things so often that tell us we're not good enough that you start to think, "maybe, just maybe I should stop trying to be the way I am, its not working." But I think that even if we don't realize it, we're making a difference just by being the way we are.



I think I have said this before, but it stands to be said again, it's a quote from one of my favorite telelvision shows, Angel. The quote goes like this "If nothing that we do matters, all that matters is what we do". I will explain it all quickly, Angel went through half a season just being on the wrong path, fighting for the wrong reasons, and this is the episode where he hit rock bottom and picked himself up. The whole exchange goes like this:





  • Angel: Well, I guess I kinda - worked it out. If there is no great glorious end to all this, if - nothing we do matters, - then all that matters is what we do. 'cause that's all there is. What we do, now, today. - I fought for so long. For redemption, for a reward - finally just to beat the other guy, but... I never got it.

  • Kate: And now you do?

  • Angel: Not all of it. All I wanna do is help. I wanna help because - I don't think people should suffer, as they do. Because, if there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness——is the greatest thing in the world.




The smallest act of kindness, that's all you need to know, because that's all that matters really. When you get through everything, you just have to keep going, keep working at getting better and getting there. I'd like to thank Vanessa and Stephanie for talking to me, both of them were a great deal of help. And just to PJ, aka Prentiss, for things somehow making sense all of the time. But really thanks to everyone, because I have learned something from all of you. But I need to go now, I am supposed to be doing other things.

No comments: