Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Black Issue

You sit in a classroom with hmphs at every mention of any wrongs done to blacks. It's the same sound you hear in hot, deep south black Baptist churchs on a sweltering Sunday afternoon. It must feel like revenge to those that do it, or what they think is revenge. Revenge for what? Well the class has more white students than blacks, even though this is a black Civil Rights class. But the whites have just as much right to be there as anyone. The blacks act as if its their right to rub something in the white's faces. Even though the class deals with a lot of race relations, the blacks there seem to have a hard time sperating the whites in the class from the whites that did bad things. I know where it comes from many times the black families will tell their children how bad they had it. I'm certain that almost no white famlies went around bragging about how they had it in the old days. Most of the whites in there probably have no idea how bad blacks had it way back when and that's not their fault, lets face it, when a country wants not to show the wrongs it has done in the past, all it must do is not talk about them.



People forget that our generations get further and further from the old ways with time. And for those black students in the class who feel like they get something hearing a black man stand in front of the class and talk about their ancestors plight. I mean, we all have a plight, or have had a plight at one point in time or another, but if we walked around scoffing at each other, it wouldn't help us progress.



I can't sit there like the rest of them and make sounds and illustrate my anger. When I hear these things that happen it makes me no more angry than it does when I hear the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. I mean I watch shows and play games that fund things in Japan every day, I don't harbor any anger to those people. I look at how I am, I look at how I think. There are so many blacks in here who think of themselves as black before American, black bfore their religion. I onceasked a woman in my class if she would choose to be a white woman, and keep her gender or be a black man and keep her race. I fully expected her her to choose one of those two things, instead, she told me she would rather be dead than white.



People out there who want all of the liberties of America, but care more about getting Michael Jackson or Robert Kelly off than they do about what happened on September eleventh or what is happening in the Sudan now. These people aren't concerned with America or anyone else expcept Black America.



I mean look at it this way, in Houston, Texas, my home town, we had a black mayor, now the black community rallied behind him for two terms despite the fact that he wouldn't do a thing for them. Some black politicians have learned that they don't even have to be right or campaign for the black vote, they just get it, simply on the fact that they are black. Why is it that the black community feel this need to go up and see someone who doesn't care about them win?



Why is it that whenever two candidates run, one black, one white, the white one can say everything that he wants for the good of America, for all people, but the blacks seem to only care about themselves. Why can't they just think of themsleves as Americans?



That's all I have to say for now.

No comments: