Sunday, August 29, 2004

Here's to Youth!

Well I guess that I'm feeling much more like I'm in a writing mood, writing is just what I haven't been doing nearly enough of lately. It's safe to say that we are indeed down to emergency power in the dorm, I filled out a request form this morning and that shit still has not been fixed, its an unsatisfactory little system, but its like real life I guess. If you can call anything that happens in life real.

Today has been a normal day, a day that I really can't say went bad or went good, I washed clothes for the first itme today, I mean the first time at college, and it helped me make some new friends, they were in the laundry part of the complex playing pool and I happened to join in because I was bored. I had alot of fun and almost won one game, I'm a horrible pool player.

After I got the clothes done I came back showered and just as I was getting out I got a call from Ashley, she called to say that she thought it would be better if we waited till after class Monday to hang out. To tell the truth I think I'm in some form of shock for two reasons, one because I'm away from home with total freedom and I just need to try and remember that I have alot of responsibility now. And two because there are two incredible girls who really seem to like me. I've never been in either one of these situations before.

I went and hung out with Chanele tonight, she's one of the girls I met after I got to the college. We're becoming pretty good friends and she seems to really want to help me out with the problem I'm having. I'm glad to have some help because I can't seem to do shit on my own. We went down the River Walk and we went out to eat and some other stuff like that. I had alot of fun and I really just got back here. It was the first time I'd left the campus for more than an hour in a while. I really couldn't help but milk the hell out of it. Isn't that what you do when given a chance.

So I've decided I want to make the best of my college experince, I want to do what I can to make it more enjoyable and more educational. I can't be like I was in highschool, because the simple fact remains that this is not highschool. Highschool blows dog, this place doesn't. People are so nice here, I met a girl the other day who I could totally see being someone cool just to hang out with. The kind of plutonic (I think that's how its spelled) friendship that you can just have with someone of the opposite sex.

What happened was I got ot class ultra early and I sat down on the ground, I had this CD I had burned with a song called "Here's to Youth" by Floggying Molly. When I sat down I happened to glance over at her and she had on a Flogging Molly t-shirt. It took me a while to say anything to her, I mean I think I had a flashback to my highschool days my mind was telling me dude, you can't just tell that girl she has a nice shirt, you don't know her, hell you two are probably in a whole different kind of clique.

But the new college Justin told me to just go for it, so having spent the rest of the song thinking it over and contemplating my next move I finally decided to say something as 'Merican by The Descendants kicked in. I pulled my headphones down and told her that her shirt was nice. We talked for the next thirty minutes, her name was Allison. And we had so much in common, we both love Furturama, Donnie Darko, Time Travel Theories, punk, ska and indie, and Mystery Science Theater. And in case you might think that I was just looking for things we had in common, she bought up Time Travel, Donnie Darko, and Futurama on her own.

I really hope that we can talk more on monday, I might have made a great new friend, and all because of a simple action I would have never taken three and a half months ago. Now I'm just hoping that I can sort the rest of these things out, I also need to find a church to go to on Sunday's, it's important to me that I keep up with my faith stuff, just because I'm away from home doesn't mean I should stop doing what I used to.

Speaking of what I used to do, I talked to Julie today, and she seemed a little down, I think that she likes college enough, or at least she said she did but I think that the real problem is that she has hardly anyone to talk to, no one from home has called her yet and that makes me feel really bad because the've been calling me and I want them to call her just as much as me, she's their friend too and she might just need those calls more than I do. So I guess I'll call later in the week and check on her, I might try to go there one weekend just to see her so that she doesn't feel like she's alone, everyone needs a friend, from the lowest of criminals to the saints, and Julie's closer to the latter.

One other bit of good news, I now have the means to play Gamecube again! I'm excited and sad all at once because I need people to play with! I think I'm going to start placing flyers around! Well I think I better head off to bed, its like 3 AM and this is making less and less sense.

No comments: