Wednesday, November 17, 2004

A Good Day in Disguise

Today was one of those good days in disguise, it started out totally normal and turned out to be really good. I pretty much hung out with my friends today, one of my classes was canceled and I planned a trip to the movies this Saturday.

We're going to see National Treasure, which I'm thinking is going to be really good. I just found out the other day that it is in fact a Disney movie, which seems kind of odd. I guess after the success they had with Pirates of the Caribbean, they would venture deeper into the world of live action. I mean their last few traditional animated movies haven't been all that good.

Well I better get to what happened today, I woke up around ten I think and rolled out of the bed to check on some class scheduling things. While I was doing that I remembered that I had an online quiz due at one. By the time I realized that it was already exactly 12:44 PM...

So I had to hurry and I barely got done, I think I had one minute left. When I was done I went ahead and got ready for my class. I got some new shirts the other night and I decided that I could wear one of them. Problem is their all long sleeve and the weather outside had done a complete 180° turn from being cold and pleasant to hot and humid.

Before leaving for class I called Desiree’s phone to tell her that if she wanted to have dinner at the University Center she could meet me there around five. Stupid me, I forgot that the place closed at five thirty. Its sad how I forget the most simplistic of things. Well I got to my first class well before time, I walked alone with my CD player blaring and a slight smile on my face, things just felt like they were going to be fine at that point.

Class went as well as could be expected, the first fifteen minutes of the class were devoted to a survey about how we felt about our teachers, well I mean professors. Teacher seems like a word that kind of down plays their role. But anyway I think its nice that our input and opinion actually matters here.

After the survey it came down to the usual note taking and lecture. But our professor had some interesting things to show us, there were these movies from the 1950s about how to conform and it was really sad how one of them encouraged children in high school to copy whatever they saw the other students doing.

That’s really a bad thing to say to kids, I’ve never been much of a conformist, some people may think hearing that from a Catholic is odd, but I really believe that even when it comes to matters of religion I’m pretty much free minded and all. And especially when it comes to things like music and movies.

I think a lot of the music on the radio now is garbage, I mean there are some good songs—its hard to say that all of something is bad. But I mean for the most part there are some really bad songs on the radio. If you really can’t see where I’m coming from its probably because most people who read this listen to the radio. I stopped listening to the radio two and a half years back and every since my whole sense of music has changed. I no longer care about the top ten songs, because when the top ten is selected even the people not consulted in the selection are forced to hear that song further until they like it.

That’s why people start to hate music so much, because they hear it like its forced on them, and then they kind of just get tired of it. That’s what’s happening to punk music now, or what they call punk—or whatever you want to call that.

I’m not saying I go around buying those five dollar unheard of CDs by artist that have strange names that start in gerunds. I mean I listen to things that might be on the radio, like Blink-182, Dashboard Confessional and others. But I like stuff that others may have never heard of—one of the most recent is Death Cab For A Cutie. I love their songs—its so mellow and comforting.

Back to what happened today. My second class was canceled for lack of a better word, my professor was out of town so I headed back to the dorm a little early. When I stepped out into the sunlight and warm humid air I had no idea what I was going to do until dinner. But as I passed the University Center I ran into Desiree. She looked stunningly beautiful in the bright sunlight, I can’t even explain why.

We talked, she told me that she wanted to go to dinner at five thirty, I was pretty excited, I like spending time with her even if she doesn’t see me as I wish she did. We walked back to the dorms together and talked some, just as we got past the tennis courts it started to sprinkle, which was a bit of a surprise but to keep her from getting wet I went into my bag and pulled out and handed it to her. She told me that we should get under it together, but I insisted that she use it.

The umbrella was very small and we would both get wet if we shared it. I told her that I could walk in the rain I didn’t mind. It was better than letting her get her hair into a mess.

Finally she convinced me to get under the umbrella with her, we had to get close together to try and stay dry but it was no help, my right arm got wet, her left did. But we laughed and talked about it and by the time we got home the rain had stopped.

Dinner was fun, Roger joined us at dinner which was cool with me. He’s pretty funny and he’s really close to getting added to the list of guys around here I found cool. He actually asked if we minded him being there, I of course said no, because he’s cool.

Dinner went by quick, at the end of it Brandon was just coming in and we got up and left, we didn’t mean to time it like that and I really didn’t think about it until after we were outside. I walked back with Desiree and Roger, came back and sat with the normal crowd at dinner and after that I went back to Desiree’s place to have some of that sparkling grape juice that taste like wine mixed with champagne. It was tasty and after that I headed back to Evan’s to watch a movie with Ricky, Evan, Eddie and Brandon. It was still raining so I got soaked on the way to Desiree’s and had to change and I got soaked again on the way to Evans, but kept my clothes. After that I ended up here.

Damn, this is too long—I should break it into two smaller posts!

No comments: