Sunday, November 26, 2006

Climax

Things really seem to be going in an awkward direction. I'm sitting here on a nice Sunday afternoon trying to write and there couldn't be more going on in the back of my mind. One thing that I know I do, with everything that comes along, is that I plan too far ahead without making sure I take a good long look at where I started.



All of this would be easier to explain if I used my writing as an example; when I start to plan a story I write down what I want to happen. That's something that I am sure a lot of writers do. But the difference is that when you plan the action of the story, a lot of the time you already have the idea of the climax in your head...



The final rise and fall action of the characters is at the very forefront of my head, its basically all I can think about. I mean when does the most exciting stuff happen? At the end of the story right?



Well isn't that what we are all trying to get to, the exciting parts of life, the exciting parts of the day, the rest of the day is just filler. Well right there, yeah there is where I made my mistake. I spent so much time planning the outcome and the actions immediately around it that I didn't plan the starting point and develope it enough. It's the same way with me in life, I spend all of this time trying to wait and plan for the exicting parts that I miss all of the stuff leading up to them. This might sound like a simple "stop and smell the roses" comment, but its more than that. It's more like "Pay attention to the journey and worry about only the obstacles immediately in front of you, don't think too far ahead."

No comments: