Friday, May 05, 2006

Our Own TNT Movie

What do I say about last night? I guess the first thing that I could say is that for the first time in a long time I can say I didn't have my mind on some problem or another. Well except staying alive, but I think I cared about that more for the sake of the other people with me more than I did for myself. I guess I don't really put much stock in life anymore.



To start this whole thing out, I have to say that I was hanging out with Brandon and this one dude Jason in the kitchen at Chisolm. Jason pipes up that he will buy me food if I drive him to Whataburger. I'm hungery and no mood to turn him down. Well right after proclaiming I would do it, we realize there's a lightening storm outside. But thinking nothing of it we play a little bit more of the game we're playing and then get up to go out. Well by the time we get to the door its hailing, the sky is kicking off a fourth of July party all its on and the sound of thunder is reverberating everywhere.



I tell them we have better chances of getting my keys if we go to the Activety center of Chisolm. I've drawn a map of what the area would look like. Basically, we left the big blue building and went to the green building, then we went from the green building to the red building, when we got the keys and dried off some, we decided that we needed to go back to the AC. We retraced the path back over there, using the mail room as cover from hail.



When we got back over there, it seemed like we couldn't get any wetter, I had to actually ring my shirt out over the sink in the AC bathroom, Jason had the same idea I had. When we first got in there we almost gave up on the idea of warm tasty burgers, then we realized that we were too hungry to stop, we had to go. Dave just happened to be wandering around in the AC and I told him to watch some of my wet stuff from my pockets that I didn't want getting worse.



He told me it would be fine and before we left Brandon made some comment about how Dave couldn't be the only one who stayed behind when they made a TNT movie about us. So Dave deicded to venture out. Also in the AC was Amanda, she seemed pretty scared by the whole idea of us going out into the storm, but she offered to come along for the ride too.



We realized that there was a whole new problem, I didn't know where the car was, so I got the idea to give Dave my key remote, and take the key itself with me. We would go to both parking lots and the first one to find the car, calls the other and they meet up and pick up the rest. So I ran out and the water is ankle deep outside of the door, I make it to the lot while getting soaked and find the car, pick up the others and we leave.



Immediately it becomes clear that Whataburgers power has gone out, so I cut across under the over pass and head up the road toward the next nearest location. Everyone in the car comments about how they can't see lights on the horizon and we're worried we might not be able to find a place to stop if we get there. The water even on the freeway is deep and its still coming down hard. Suddenly a car passes by going way too fast and splashes me hard with water. I can't see for a good long while and I slow to let it run off.



We finally reach Bandera road, it takes about ten mintues to do what would have normally taken a third of that time. Since the rain shows no sign of slowing we decide to pull into the gas station, but so did everyone else and there's no room. The lights were on and I looked around for another sound structure, the only thing I can find is the automated car wash, so I pull in there and we say for about twenty minutes, I found some paper towels in the back and we dried off some, sat around and talked, walked around outside of the car. Amanda made some phone calls. After that the rain pretty much calmed, the Whataburger on this side of town had lost power too, so we just settled for Jack in the Box and headed back to the school.



Despite the danger in all of this, it was fun, and I don't think I'd hesitate to do it again.

No comments: