Monday, January 29, 2007

Common Misconception

Last night I talked to an old friend I told her something, I'm not going to repeat it here, its hardly something that you need to know to get the point of the story. But the idea here is that she was so shocked by what I told her and professed that I didn't seem like the type who would do that thing.



This spiked my curiosity and I wondered what it was about me in high school that made it seem like I didn't think about stuff like that. Why was it that people there had the idea I was this sweet innocent person who didn't think things that I'm sure a lot of the general population does? I asked her over and over what it was about me that made her think this.



For clarity sake I will say this, it was nothing overwhelmingly nasty, awkward or uncommon, maybe something you don't expect if you don't know me that well, though.



The thing is that in high school I couldn't talk to the people I went to school with about things. The few times I divulged anything it would suddenly end up being public knowledge and then everyone would know it somehow. I didn't feel like that was something that should have happened, but that was high school for me. I got picked on for who I liked and what I liked. My music wasn't the stuff that I should have listened to supposedly, the girls I liked weren't always considered attractive so I learned early on to keep my mouth shut.



But after talking to my friend the other night I am wondering what misconceptions other people I have known in the past have about me. I know the people who really know me like Prentiss, Brandon, John, Heather and others like those know most of the story. But I wonder to others how I come off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you come off normal to me.

Does that make us both weirdos? lol.

Some people "know" me as the sweetest guy, others "know" me as some kind of monster...

What can I say? We are a strange bunch.

Anonymous said...

You don't seem innocent, just respectful and kind. People usually freak out when people are nice...they don't know how to handle it so they assume all these other qualities are present. Take me, for example. I'm competitive, aggressive, and go after what I want...so, therefore, I'm anything BUT innocent. I'm rude and nasty and bitchy...the list of names goes on and on. But only people who know you can truyl comment on your character. And the only person who can validate someone's opinion about you, is you!