Sunday, September 13, 2009

I Am Jack’s Return

For those who don’t know, the “I Am Jack Titles” started back in 2005 when I was really big into Fight Club, they are back now because its been too long I would have to say.

Some would say its been a long time since I wrote and actual blog. Others would note that its been an even longer time since I have consistently posted in my blog this long. I had a lot to write, but didn’t want to write it all is I guess what you can take from this.

Started writing the second novel the other day and I remember how hard it was starting the first. What’s amazing is that this is the week Hurricane Ike struck…the same week I started writing before. It’s funny how it all came full circle like that, but that might be my good luck charm.

This week has been marked by good conversation and kind words (which you can see posted in previous entries). What has not marked this week are high word counts and brilliant ideas.

There have been a lot of changes to the second novel, both in structure and scope. But the overall goal remains the same and that is for me to pick up where the first left off, make the story relevant and make the characters true.

One of the shittiest things about many sequels is there isn’t actually anything relevant. When you look at some trilogies, like The Matrix its easy to see that the second movie is largely wasted time and a lot of it could have been incorporated into the third movie. In the movie business, things come in threes so trios are expected if you make certain types of film.

But all too often the trio wears thin by the end.

I am not planning a trilogy because I don’t think I should fit all of this into three books and I don’t like the idea of the trilogy. But I am settling in for the long haul when it comes to the length of continuation.

So here are just a few of the changes I made to the novel this week:

  1. We’re going to see an Angel of Love, in fact several Angels will appear
  2. The novel will be a three tiered story with each smaller part of the book having its own rise and fall in climax, albeit smaller than the last one.
  3. A lot of writings I deemed standalone before are now incorporated into the novel.
  4. Half of the Prologue has become the first part of the first chapter.

That’s just a little taste of things. Well I am going to be signing out but here’s a little taste of a picture I picked up today:

Barbi12_by_Angiua26cCriminal

No comments: