Saturday, April 05, 2008

Save the Lies for the Liars

I'm starting to dislike pretentious people, those who think that they have to invent a new them to make themselves interesting. The same people who you see trying to hard to look intelligent. I'm getting really tired of being told how I can't be a real writer if I don't do this, or how doing this or that isn't an adult choice to make with ones hobbies or the like.



There's a guy that I work with who I spend a good deal of time around and he is one of these people. The very definition of lame. He made himself a big long list of New Years resolutions and broadcast them all over the place. Most of them were trivial shit. One of them even said that he wanted to take up smoking, who just 'takes up smoking' and choses to do so ahead of time.



He was discussing his writing with me at one point, because he writes too and it just sounded like that same old tired ass stuff you see in movies like Garden State, a depressing and emo romp through life until somehow some quirky girl comes up and without explanation for how she does it, changes things. When I told him about my writing and how I had spent all of the night before writing an action scene. He made some comment about how he used to write stuff like that, but he grew up.



He is quick to judge others on how they dress and the like, but the second someone even points ou that he is out of dress code, he flies off the handle. He is just the kind of person I thought I would be rid of when I got out of high school, but there are apparently more of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone might want to inform the guy you work with that MOST writers, if not all, have at least ONE action scene (or something resembling one) in their writing. To not have one basically means everyone sits around talking, and that can get boring unless it's a hell of a good conversation. Yeah, idiots like that piss me off too.

Megan

Anonymous said...

know the feeling dude! keep on at what you do best be for real!