Sunday, January 20, 2008

Fear

Fear is a great thing, its one of those emotions that while it seems bad serves a good purpose. Last night I had a dream that confirmed for me a fear that I have had for a long time. I dreamt I lost someone, not to death or something like that, but just lost them as a friend. Someone I cared dearly about. It was bad how it happened, it was awkward and the dream seemed out of place but maybe it was there to show me something. I have had two dreams recently, both involving fear, different kinds of fear.



This last one was about me having a going away party, and some people were there, some of the people from work were there too, which was odd because they weren't the people from work I usually hang out with. Well there were different tables we were all sitting at, and over the course of time someone I really wanted to just see before I went where ever, got up and walked over to the other table and just didn't talk to me again. Instead of having fun I spent the whole night watching and hoping they would come back, it felt so odd.



The other dream was at the fault of Cloverfield which I discussed in the previous blog. I dreamt something was attack this city, not Houston or some other city I have ever seen (none of the landmarks made sense) but we were running from it. And I remember thinking to myself that I just need to make sure that "she" makes it. The person was right there with us, yet my concern was keeping her safe. And what got me was that I feel like this is how I would really act. I disregard my own safety all too often, not sure why I wouldn't do it again.



But I remember the fear I felt when I thought that some harm could befall this person and that feeling was probably the worst dread I have ever felt in a dream. Fear is what the basic Fight or Flight notion is based on. But when you fear for someone else the only logical choice is to fight. Now, the only real question is...



How the Hell do I apply this to a real world setting?

No comments: