Friday, January 18, 2008

Cared?

Cloverfield was a pleasant surprise of a movie, the kind of thing you expect to be okay and it turns out being so much better. The movie was pretty impressively realistic, with good special effects, but not so good as to overshadow the real point of the movie. Now don't worry about spoilers, I'm not going to discuss the movie at all except to say something about the basic premise.



How far would you go to save someone who you cared about? That's the basic set up of the movie. You have these ordinary people, everyday twenty-somethings and they are thrust into this world of chaos, confusion and terror. There were times in the movie when my heart would almost stop in the movie just because I could imagine how it would feel to be in that situation, with people I care about.



Prentiss and I always joke about our plan for when Zombies attack, we never actually thought of giant monsters. But this raises still more questions, who would you save if this really happened? How far would you go to save someone that you loved, someone who you wanted to tell you loved?



One thing I will say, regardless of how much of a spoiler this might be to some of you more sensitive types. But the amount of courage displayed by all of these characters is admirable. It's the kind of thing that we need to see more of in the world around us. And the lesson here...is the kind of lesson we need to see more of in movies. So often we see movies where the bad guy is against an impossibly collected and cool hero, someone who we can't honestly identify because they're not like us.



This time, we see real people, in an unrealistic situation, go and risk their lives to save someone they care about. I won't tell you how it turns out. I won't even sprout off some of my favorite lines. What I will say is go see this movie and then tell someone you care about how you really feel.

No comments: