Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Measure of Progress

I found a story that I read when I was younger and first coming into my own as a writer. It was around the time I stopped writing fan fiction and started writing my own characters and worlds…

It was a story from the perspective of a soldier killed by Snake (the main character from Metal Gear Solid). It went on in detail to describe the soldiers feelings and thoughts as he died and it painted him as remorseful and someone to be thought of as more than a useless pawn…

…reading it now it’s like pretentious garbage. I can’t believe that a younger me would be taken in by this kind of thing. It’s a measure of maturity and of progress. Back then I thought it was so deep and so beautiful and poetic. Now I almost laugh to read it. Which I know is wrong, but I think that this says more about me than my old writing compared to my writing now.

Back then I thought, “If I could just write like that I would be set.”

Now what I am aspiring to do is so much more.

No comments: