Monday, January 31, 2011

The Social Network

Watched this movie for the first time the other day and I have to say that what’s most impressive to me about the whole thing is how short a time ago that it all happened. (yes it was well acted and enjoyable and actually very good too) It’s a based on a true story that I remember going on as it went on. I remember when Facebook hit my school in late 2004 and I remember the millionth member.

In fact my school is alluded to in the movie, when they mention that Baylor won’t take Facebook and they need to spread to the schools around Baylor—that was us.

The based on a true story mantra has long been a stable of movies and books, when something is based on real life and yet still dramatic and entertaining it seems someone easier to be enthralled with it and impressed. You show us the story of the youngest billionaire in the world or a man with his arm trapped under a rock and forced to free himself through drastic means and people eat it up.

And I know we’re going to live through more of these “based on a true story” moments that we remember. Maybe we already have. There are countless stories of war accounts, September eleventh, historic rescues, historic cases and criminals and loves and all manner of other things out there someone may write about.

When I think about Facebook as a site (I still remember when it was changed from thefacebook.com) I realize how integrated it is into life and how it was integrated in to college and the social experience. And even with the site’s many changes I find myself strolling around it at times looking at friend connections and just searching for old acquaintances.

The idea seems so simple now, looking back at it. Ideas often do. The things that we use daily and seem to depend on somewhat are those ideas that once had everyone goes “why didn’t I think of this” or “why did no one ever do this before?”

The site’s pretty much established its place as one of those things that just becomes a staple of social life for many people.

No comments: