Monday, February 22, 2010

Cutting Away

It looks like I might need to do a little house cleaning, its time to cut some of the things I have clung to away. Not in the literal, real life sense. But in the sense of my writing. Some of the ideas I have bonded with over the years in terms of my writing have grown more and more unnecessary with every rewrite. More than ever I’m seeing that now.

So when I edit or get back to writing, I am doing away with a lot. A lot of characters, a lot of concepts and I am taking things down to a basic level again and writing about a smaller group of people.

So its going to be a long road and the rewrite promises to be even harder when I have to cut so much away and as Stephen King put it murder my darlings. There’s a lot of contemplation going into who should stay and who shouldn’t, because in my head I want to keep all of them but I know if I do, it won’t be as good.

No comments: